International Conference: Working Across Sectors to Halt Deforestation and Increase Forest Area - from Aspiration to Action
About the Organization:
Founded in 2001, Bluesource is North America’s leading carbon marketing, finance, and project development firm. In its 16 years of operation, Bluesource has established the largest portfolio of carbon projects and credits in North America, with over a dozen project types located in nearly every U.S. state and Canadian province, and over 30 million credits sold to compliance and voluntary market buyers. Bluesource is headquartered in Salt Lake City, with offices in San Francisco, Calgary, and Toronto.
About the Position:
Bluesource seeks a Manager of Forest Carbon Modeling to play a leading role in the Bluesource forestry team’s carbon modeling efforts and support business development in the forest carbon space. The successful candidate will have the unique mix of technical and practical skills necessary to both carry out the quantitative analyses central to forest carbon project development and clearly articulate the processes by which such quantification was executed. Day-to-day responsibilities will cover a broad spectrum of activities ranging from optimizing project baselines, to leading field verifications, to presenting project details to stakeholders. The ideal candidate will be at home in the office and in the woods. This is an excellent opportunity for a technically skilled professional seeking a dynamic position in the center of the forest carbon market.
The successful candidate will have a combination of the following qualifications:
• 2 or more years of professional experience in forest carbon-related field
• Advanced knowledge of forest carbon policy, carbon protocols (compliance and voluntary), and carbon accounting standards
• Master’s degree or PhD in forestry or another applicable scientific discipline
• Expertise with forest modeling using FVS and/or other growth and yield programs
• Advanced proficiency using Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, and ArcGIS (remote sensing
experience a plus)
• Proficient in R, Stata, or other statistical packages
• Experience in forest biometrics and statistical analysis
• Experience in forest inventory, management plan, and harvest plan design
• Expertise in project management and ability to coordinate among various stakeholders
• Profession Forester credentials a plus
• Experience working in a variety of North American forest types a plus
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
• Advise clients on, and lead multi-disciplinary teams in, the design and implementation of forest carbon offset projects
• Lead forest carbon modeling efforts for both voluntary and compliance offset projects
• Develop project and baseline harvest prescriptions while optimizing credit generation
• Perform statistical analyses and database management of forest inventories
• Draft carbon project documentation
• Respond to verifier, registry, and CA ARB findings/questions
• Compare financial returns of various forest management strategies
• Maintain project timelines and meet strict deadlines
• Manage third-party inventory execution and lead field audit
The position will preferably be located in San Francisco, CA, though remotely based candidates will be considered.
Heavy duty repairs on equipment from small skid steers to track dozers and forestry machinery.
Must have minimum third year apprenticeship completed in a recognized Canadian Red Seal program for Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic.
Work will include the ability to work shift work - no weekend work.
Shifts are 8 hours per day.
Inventory Forester in Western Canada, British Columbia, Canada with Ecora Engineering & Resource Group Ltd
Job Title: Inventory Forester
Job Location: Western Canada
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Ecora Engineering & Resource Group Ltd is a multi-disciplined engineering, environmental and forestry consulting company located in British Columbia’s Central Interior and the Okanagan. Our team of specialists is supported by a wide network of associates that enable Ecora to deliver a full suite of services. Ecora is built around its core values of commitment to our staff, our clients, our community and our environment.
Ecora is continuing to expand our Resource Inventory services in both Canadian and international markets, and is currently seeking experienced air photo interpreters who will report to the team lead in Prince George, BC. This is a permanent, full-time position with competitive remuneration and benefits package. This is an opportunity to grow with an established, dynamic company in a great team environment.
As an integral member of our Resource Inventory team, you will be responsible for assisting inventory staff complete all aspects of forest inventory projects throughout the province of British Columbia and other regions.
The position includes work in both field and office environments. The field activities involve field calibration sample planning, establishment and reporting. The office activities include project planning, and photo interpretation and delineation to appropriate provincial inventory and company standards. Both work environments require compliance with our comprehensive occupational health and safety program, producing quality work on budget and on time, communicating effectively, and working collaboratively with fellow staff and clients. The position will include periodic travel to Prince George if the position is filled elsewhere.
Additionally, the successful candidate will possess the following:
- BC VRI air photo interpretation certificate in good standing
- Valid Class 5 driver’s license (or equivalent) and clean driving record
- Legally eligible to work in Canada
- The ability to view images in stereo / 3-dimensions and in colour is mandatory
- Proficient in computer use, with excellent oral and written communication skills
- A minimum of 3 years’ work experience in forest inventory, using digital imagery
Other Desirable Skills:
- Familiarity with British Columbia’s Biogeoclimatic Ecosystem Classification (BEC)
- Registration with a professional association (e.g. ABCFP) is preferred but not required
- Experience with Python and SQL programming languages