Inducted in 2006
Owen’s forestry career began in 1937 when he was hired to assist with building a fire tower near his home in Barr Settlement. He later became the fire tower operator. In 1940, given his natural ability to fix and maintain equipment, he established a workshop in his home to repair pumps, back tanks and other fire suppression equipment. Between 1940 and 1945, the Department of Lands and Forests relied solely on Owen for his mechanical abilities. In 1948, the Provincial Fire Depot was built in Shubenacadie and Owen was appointed its first Mechanical Superintendent, a position he held until his retirement in 1971. Owen was an integral and indispensable part of the Province’s forest fire protection team. As a result of his passion for his work, the Department’s ability to fight forest fires expanded greatly under Owen’s direction.